Lots of new followers on Twitter, lots of new friends on Facebook. So if any of them are curious, here:
- I'm a crime novelist with a Ph.D. in Creative Writing from the University of Southern Mississippi.
- I'm from Mississippi, but am an "expatriate" to rural Minnesota. I love it up north.
- I'm the sort of writer that other writers like, apparently. I have a small lake's worth of readers, I'd say.
- I made up Billy Lafitte in Yellow Medicine. He's pretty fucking popular. So far, I've written three books about him.
- I also made up Mustafa and his son Adem in All the Young Warriors. That's one book I'm still really amazed I was able to write, and that so many people have embraced it.
- I love Mexican food, be it good, bad, authentic, phony, whatever.
- While I don't drink a lot, I'm a big fan of cheap red wine and Mexican beer with lime in it.
- When not writing, I'm an English Professor (and current Chair of the Department) at Southwest Minnesota State University. I love what I do.
- I want to retire to the city of Duluth, MN, one day. I want to live on Lake Superior.
- I have a soft spot for hair metal. Still, after all these years.
- But it's not the only thing I like. My musical tastes would surprise you. Both the width, the depth, and the shittiness.
- I am a very lucky husband. I am also a very happy pet owner (two French bulldogs, two cats).
- I have wild mood swings between being really jealous over best-selling authors because I want to do that, too, and just being very happy with my sort of writing, the outstanding support I get from my indie publishers, and the fans who give me a reason to write.
- Right now, the pendulum is swinging towards the "happy" side, so in a few years I'm sure I'll be foaming at the mouth trying to come up with a new best-selling thriller series.
- I like TV a lot. I get really bored with most movies. It takes a lot of movie to keep me interested. But not loud explode-y ones nor slow as a constipated shit ones. Ugh.
- In early March, I had a heart attack. I'm a bit young for that. But I'm really okay now. Thumbs up.
- I will now take questions. But I have the right to not answer and just leave your answer hanging in the air, unanswered forever, in the comments.